Monday, June 14, 2010

Jhatpat Ghughuni

I love everything about my home town Bhubaneswar ....... one of them being the street food. Last time when I was there I went to my favorite place 'Market Building', the oldest shopping arcade........I can spend the entire day there without getting tired. This time when I was there I realized that not much had changed about that place ......... only some of the old familiar faces had more wrinkles. I saw a swarm of people at the same old rickety corner of the arcade. I could see the same old board 'Ghuguni Bara',only the paint had faded and there was more rust on it.Every time I visited Market Building I had seen that spot crowded ..... it has been the favorite hangout for street food lovers. Though I was a bit concerned about the hygiene, I too plunged into the crowd. Strange but I relish the taste of street food more than any posh Bistro.

I named this recipe as Jhatpat Ghuguni because it can be prepared in no time ! Ghuguni is another comfort food of the Odiyas'. The main ingredient for this is dried yellow peas.
Preparation Time - 20 minutes
Serves - 2
Ingredients
Yellow Peas - 1 Cup
Mustard Oil - 1 tsp
Chopped Onions - 1/2 cup
Cumin Seeds - 2 tsp
Dry Red Chili - 2
Lemon Juice - 1tbsp
Coriander leaves - few strings
Chopped Tomato - 1/3 cup
Salt to taste
Method of Preparation
1 Soak the yellow peas in warm water for minimum 4 hours.
2 Pressure Cook the peas with salt added to it till cooked. Make sure the peas are soft.Remove and drain water.Smash the peas roughly using a spoon.
3 Dry roast the Cumin and Red Chili. Grind them together to make a powder.
4 Add mustard oil and lemon juice to the drained peas and mix well.
5 Add the cumin-red chili powder and mix well.
6 Add chopped onions and tomatoes. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.
Serving Tips
Serve hot as a snack.
Notes
When the cumin seeds and Red Chili is hot, grind to make a powder in the pestle. It can be easily powdered when hot.
Variations
Use Olive oil instead. If you like it more spicy add chopped green chilis.You may add boiled potatoes to this recipe.
Other Names
Dried Yellow Peas - Yellow Matar,Vatani White.





1 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks very delicious and healthy too. Will try this:)

Post a Comment