Thursday, June 17, 2010

Ice Cream Dreams



Ahh what an weekend, good food and a long nap in the afternoon ..... I woke up and walked half sleepy to the kitchen and opened the fridge. I was craving for something sweet. I vaguely scanned through the shelves and then reached up to the fridger. My eyes popped up ..... I had completely forgotten about the ice lollies that I had picked up from the store last week. I perched on the chair of my patio enjoying the cool evening breeze .... happily licking my lime ice lolly like a small kid.
I heard a jingle outside .... it wasn't a very familiar one.I peeped outside and saw some kids running out of the apartment. The ice-cream truck had arrived - its finally summer, I said to myself.
As I rejoiced the scene of kids around the ice cream truck, I walked down my memory lanes.
Those were the days when having a fridge in one's house was considered luxury. If someone in the neighborhood would buy a new one ..... the others would flock to have a look at it.It was like a festival in the neighborhood. The only rescue that most people looked forward to beat the summer heat was the ice cream man. A dark skinny guy would come selling ice cream every summer evening. Ting Ting Ting ......... one can hear the bell of the ice cream cart and a shrill
shaky voice screaming Ice Creeeeeeeem.
Children would run out with shiny coins in their hands to the rickety ice cream cart. I myself had done this several times. A swarm of kids would hang on to the cart trying to reach their favorite flavor of ice cream. Eyes would shine and lips turn red while rejoicing that flavored ice stick.
Not sure if I can eat ice cream from such a rickety cart any more. But one thing that I am sure of is that, no fancy brand of ice cream can bring back the joy of eating that ice cream.
I finished my ice lolly as I watched the children. I thought eating another one was not a bad idea,after all who cares about calories when it comes to eating your favorite thing ..... I quickly ran outside to the ice cream truck and stood amongst the kids choosing which one to eat.

Photos Courtesy - Bing.com





0 comments:

Post a Comment