Saturday, May 22, 2010

Malgudi Days


This was a typical evening scene during my years of growing up. My father reminding me to study and complete the tasks for that day. Also with some regular gyan of what would happen if I didn't do well in studies and how my future would be dark and full of hardships. My mother chopping vegetables and kneading the wheat flour,getting ready to prepare dinner. And my studious sister at her study table ignorant of what all was going around her.
While we all were engrossed in different things, there was one thing that was common to all of us .... each one of us wanted to complete our chores before 9' o Clock. That was when my father would allow us to switch on the television. Our favorite program "Malgudi Days" would be aired.That was the time when the entire family would come together and enjoy the sweet innocence of Swami (the main character .... popularly known as Chaaaami - that's how his name was pronounced in a typical southern accent).Beautiful village with beautiful landscapes, homely characters which were very near to our real life could be seen and felt through those programs. One could really feel to live in such world.Doordarshan was the only channel those days and there were scheduled hours when programs would be aired. People used to eagerly wait for their favorite ones to come. I remember shops pulling down their shutters and roads getting deserted on Sunday mornings when, the Ramayana and the Mahabharata were aired.But things have changed much now, not sure if the revolution in television industry is doing any good !!Doordarshan has become extinct. We have 24 hours of television with varied types of never ending Saas Bahu serials, Reality Shows like Rakhi ka Swayamvar making headlines due to their unmatched record breaking TRP ratings and some News Channel showing anything and everything but news !!! Well I am not trying to criticize, but I was wondering if we can have some sensible stuff which the entire family can sit and enjoy ..... something that we can remember and smile. I just wish that I could return to "Malgudi Days" !!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment