Sunday, May 16, 2010

Namaskar


Can we all recollect how many times we greet others with a Namaskar or Namaste off late ? I was pondering if the word "Namaste" is soon going to be a thing of the past. Are we forgetting our culture sooner than we should ? As a child my parents and grandparents had taught me to fold my hands and say Namaskar to elderly people. By elderly I don't mean the ones with grey hair .... but any one who is elder to me and is respectable. Not just me I had also seen them greet their friends and peers saying Namaste or Namaskar.
There has been more than one occasion people from outside India have greeted me with a Namaste. A young Italian lady whom I interacted with for a short time during my transit at the Paris Airport had greeted me saying Namaste after I introduced myself as Indian. Many a times in the USA also people have folded their hands to greet me with a warm Namaste. And words can't explain how nice I had felt for that very moment.
I had this practise in me till I came out to see the world on my own and till I became a part of the so called corporate or modern culture. Then started the era of "Hi" and "Hellos" where the gesture of Namaste slowly took a backseat. I still do it when I am home on a vacation. It comes naturally to me. However I feel conscious when I try to do it outside among my peer group and I feel bad when I give it a serious thought.
I have a fear in my mind that it may become extinct with future generations !! The reason being quite obvious ........... since we ourselves are no more practising it we don't teach them to our children.
But have you ever wondered that this simple gesture of saying Namaste makes you feel more closer to the other person. At least it makes me feel so !! And yes like everything I tried finding the reason behind it....... you guys may think I am insane in doing so. I too agree that there is a little bit of madness in everybody and I am no different.
Namaste is combination of two Sanskrit word Nama and Te, meaning bowing to you. Joining of the two palms is symbolic of the good soul within me recognising the one within you. May be that is the reason why we get that warm feeling of belongingness while saying Namaste.
Don't you think this small gesture gives us a unique recognition in the world and we should proudly practise it and teach the importance of it to the future generations.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's very much true, I absolutely agree with you.

Unknown said...

i like your blogs good .... very good...........

Post a Comment