Sunday, July 18, 2010

Chat Pat Papdi

How was your weekend ? I intermittently got on the internet to see what was cooking in the kitchen of my fellow bloggers. There were a whole variety of things ..... everything drool worthy. I just looked at the pictures and wondered if I could eat out of it. I got a little over excited and motivated seeing the variety of food from my lovely blogger friends.
I too wanted to prepare something different ....... Pani Puris crossed my mind ! I got on the internet to check the recipe for it. I remarked 'Oh this is so easy, I can make it' !! It was not until I rolled the puri's out and put them in the oil. The first one didn't puff up ....... 'May be the oil needed to be more hot' I thought as I waited for some more time to place the second one. The Puris' refused to pop up ....... May be one in every 5 Puri would Pop up. I would jump like a kid, for that was a moment of achievement for me !! But I am not the kind of person who would accept defeat ...... If not Pani Puri, it can be something else !! How about chat pat Papdi ........ does this name sound fancy enough to make you drool !!
Preparation Time - 60 minutes
Makes - 30
Ingredients
For the Papdi ( I wish I could write Puris :) )
Semolina - 1/2 cup
All Purpose flour - 1/2 cup
Oil - 2 tsp
Warm water for kneading
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
For Stuffing
Boiled Mashed Potatoes
Cumin Powder
Curd
Chat Masala
Salt
Sugar
Chopped Cilantro
Chopped Onions
Sev - Store bought
(I am not writing the specific amount for the ingredients for the stuffing as you can eye ball it.)
Method of Preparation

1 Mix Semolina and All Purpose Flour in a bowl. Add salt. Add 2 tsp oil. Use warm water to prepare a soft dough. Keep it covered with a moist cheese cloth for 20 minutes before rolling out.
2 Pinch out a ball of the dough and roll it to a flat bread like shape. Take a sharp edge bottle cap and cut out small puris (papdis) from it.
3 Heat Oil in a Kadhai. When hot drop them and fry till golden brown.
For the stuffing
Mix cumin powder, salt and chat masala to the mashed potato as per taste. In another bowl take some yogurt and mix cumin powder and chat masala. Stuff the potatoes into these papdi's. Drizzle yogurt on it. Garnish with chopped onions, cilantro and sev.
Serving Tips
Serve as an evening snack or a starter.
Notes
Don't get disappointed if something doesn't turn up the way you wished (like my Puri's). Instead make best use of what you get :)
Variation
Choose your own stuffing. I would be glad to get suggestions from my readers for this.

11 comments:

Prema said...

Iam a great fan of chat,love this...luks perfect.Will try it soon.

Vani said...

I love papdi chat. Correction, I love ALL chaat! :) This looks delicious, Satrupa!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

Hy Satrupa,
Fabulous chat recipe...! bookmarked it.
First time here...fab recipe collection you have...Am your happy follower now...Do drop in at my space sometime...!

Priya Suresh said...

Yummy, am ready to have some..tempting chat pat papdi..

Umm Mymoonah said...

This is one of my favourite chat, nice pictures.

Anonymous said...

Wow This Papdi photo is looking so tempting n yummy. I m a big fan of all chatpata dishes.

Suja Manoj said...

Love papdi chat..looks fabulous.

kitchen queen said...

lovely papdi chaat my favourite. you have a nice blog.you can visit my blog and give ur comments.

Malar Gandhi said...

Oh yeah, me too get motivated to cook by gazing at our fellow buddies:) Chat pat papdi looks awesome, very inviting:)

Satrupa said...

I am glad you liked the post. Thanks for the encouragement !!

Cheers n Happy Cooking !
Satrupa

nandini said...

oh so lovely!!. I am such a sucker for chats!!. Happy to have discovered ur space. following u...

Post a Comment