Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Karela Chips

Karela - I made a face looking at my mother as she placed some stir fried Karelas on my plate.I yelled showing my discomfort at eating it. But she was stern and I have to gulp it down.With tears in my eyes I swallowed it quickly like a bitter pill.My family ate it often due to its food value. Later my mother developed a recipe for Karela which I looked forward to on my plate.Last time when I was home, I learnt it from my dad, who is equally a good cook.
J also loves Karela, these days I make it often .... rather should say it has become a part of our comfort food. I am sure that people like me who dread at the name of this bitter vegetable are going to change thier opinion once they try this out.This bitter vegetable is known for its medicinal values , it helps control diabetics and is known to cleanse the stomach and purify blood.

Preparation Time - 20 minutes
Serves - 2
Ingredients
Chopped Karela - 1 cup
Gram Flour - 1 tbsp
Red Chillie Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 pinch
Salt per taste
Oil for frying
Method of Preparation
1 Wash the Karela and cut it into round pieces. Don't cut it too thick or thin.

2 Sprinkle salt, turmeric and chillie powder and keep aside for minimum 15 minutes. The salt will help ooze out the juice from the Karela.
3 Sprinkle the Gram Four and mix it well.
4 Heat oil in a Kadhai. When hot shallow fry the Karela.
Serving Tips
Serve when hot immediately after frying.
Notes
Sprinkle little water if needed when mixing the Gram four.
Variation
You may try this with rice flour too. It will make that extra crispy. Or combine both rice and gram flour.
Other Names
Karela Chips - Karela Fritter, Bitter Gourd Fritters,Karela - Bitter Gourd/ Kalara, Gram Flour - Besan

8 comments:

Umm Mymoonah said...

I too amke something similar to this, i'm sure people will definitely love this karela chips. I love to have this karela chips with dhal.
First time here in your blog, love your recipe ideas. Following you:-)

Umm Mymoonah said...

Sorry ya, i made some mistake in my comment, instead of make i have written amke. Please don't get confused:-)

Prema said...

Kerala chips luks fantastic,really droll worthy recipe...

TREAT AND TRICK said...

This is really healthy and looks beautiful, quite long time I had eaten this...

Unknown said...

This recipe remember my hostel days......

Really its too crisp not even bitter

The Ketchup Girl said...

you are lying about karelas. Its really one veggie, i havent yet had! But if you promise outstanding results, i'm willing to give this a try :). Nice, fun, happy, vibrant blog, Satrupa :)

s said...

This is probably the only way that my family will eat bitter gourds. Wonderful click!

Satrupa said...

Thank you all for all your lovely comments. Do give it a try and let me know your feedback.

Post a Comment