Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Coriander Chicken



We all love 'Free' stuff .... don't we ? So this time when I was in the neighborhood shop buying grocery I was lured by this ' Buy one Get one Free - Chicken Breasts'. And the 'free' bug hit me hard. And I decided to buy this pale frozen tasteless free chicken ! !
But my dear friends nothing comes for free in this world ........ in my excitement getting a tray of free chicken breasts I forgot to check the expiry date. It was too late when I realized ........ I had to consume the free one first ...... yah the expiry date was just a day after I bought it.
So I had no choice but to cook chicken ....... but guys let me tell you a small secret, you can never go wrong cooking chicken. The end result is at least edible if not good. And some people would simply eat it because it's 'Chicken' !!
With this belief I started preparing this chicken curry ..... my own recipe ! Not that I wanted to experiment. On any given day I would love to eat mom's Country Style chicken curry. But sometimes this blogging stuff freaks me out ..... with the desire of showing off my own culinary skills and getting applauded by my co bloggers, I present you my experimental Coriander Chicken.


Not : Try at your own risk. There are chances you get addicted to it ...... equal chances of dumping it too :-)

Preparation Time - 45 minutes
Serves - 4
Ingredients
Chicken Breasts - 1 pound
Onion - 1 big
Tomato - 1
Chopped Cilantro - 2 cups
Curry Leaves - few
Ginger - 1.5 inches
Whole Black Pepper - 10
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon - 2 inches
Whole Coriander Seeds - 1 tsp
Chicken Curry Powder - 1 tbsp
Green Chili - 4
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt per taste
Oil for cooking
Method of Preparation
1 Cut chicken breasts into medium size pieces. Chop onion and tomato finely and keep aside.
2 Grind and make a thick paste of coriander leaves, ginger, curry leaves, green chilies, coriander seeds and whole pepper.
3 In a Kadhai, add enough oil. Add whole cinnamon and cumin seeds. Add the finely chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
4 Add the finely chopped tomatoes along with turmeric, chicken masala and salt. Fry till the tomatoes are soft.
5 Add the chicken pieces and fry till the chicken pieces look opaque/ white.
6 Pour the mixture of coriander mixture and mix well.
7 Keep frying till all the moisture evaporates and the chicken gets cooked. Do not add water. The masala will turn brown in color when cooked completely.
Serving Tips
Serve warm with rice or roti/ chapatti/ paratha.
Notes
Keep stirring the masala else it may stick to the bottom.
Variation
You may add green chilies per taste. Instead of chicken breast pieces you may use any piece. You can use the stem of coriander leaItalicves for making puree.
Other Names
Coriander Chicken - Coriander Chicken Curry, Coriander - Cilantro, Cumin - Jeera.




22 comments:

Suji said...

wow..it looks utterly delicious...I love the color...Satrupa, you rock girllll

aipi said...

Delicious chicken curry with lots of flavor..lovely color!

US Masala

Shabitha Karthikeyan said...

Flavorful and Lovely curry. Nice click too.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

looks yum! utterly delicious!

Unknown said...

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!! Its so yummy-yummy nd luscious too......can't resist any more!!

Unknown said...

Such a droolworthy curry...makes me crave for some rotis and rice :)

Sushma Mallya said...

yummy,love the flavour of coriander leaves,..

Priya Suresh said...

Very tempting and droolworthy coriander chicken,makes me drool..

SavithaRaj's Spice Land said...

Looks very delicious,never tried with coriander leaves..

Cool Lassi(e) said...

The chicken curry looks scrumptious. I thought it would have been green but the tomato and turmeric powder must have given it its reddish color.

Suja Manoj said...

Absolutely delicious..never tried with coriander leaves..looks so inviting

My Kitchen Antics said...

coriander chicken??? now thats interesting..looks lovely

Torviewtoronto said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Torviewtoronto said...

delicious curry never heard of chicken powder

PreeOccupied said...

I don't think anyone will "dump" such a pretty dish. Btw, whats chicken powder?

Angie's Recipes said...

A very flavourful chicken dish!

Satya said...

wow coriander chicken ,what a delicious combo ...yummy

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Nithu said...

Lovely...Yummy and flavorful...

Satrupa said...

@ PreOccupied and Torviewtoronto ....... sorry that was a typo, it's Chicken Curry Powder. Thanks for letting me know.

Unknown said...

Delicious looking coriander chicken...The color of the dish is different than what I expected - I too thought it would be green :) Nice recipe..

Nitha said...

Looks so great.. and delicious..

Satrupa said...

Thanks everyone for dropping by !!

Post a Comment