Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Malai Methi Mushroom



Some days are so blah ....... And today I can't blame it on the weather like I always do. It was a lovely sunny day, the snow has melted into a small puddle, the neighborhood kids were out playing, people were walking their dogs and basking in the sun ..... everything seemed perfect.
Sigh ! It was not the best day for me ..... sleepless nights (thanks to my office fellas'), tangled hair, puffy eyes and chapped lips, I stood like a nerd on my patio with a blank head staring into infinity.
I wanted to break free .... I finally pulled myself and dusted my walking shoes. I felt a gush of cool air in my lungs. The gentle breeze blew my tangled hair and kissed my lips. My skin soaked in the bright sun after a long winter. It was pure bliss. I walked around aimlessly staring at the majestic Rocky Mountains in the horizon. I pondered how amazing God's creation is and how we ignore the beauty of small things in our daily materialistic lives.
I came back home refreshed and soaked myself in a tub of warm water with few orange peels. It was Valentine Day ..... in fact the day was almost over. I decided to make this mushroom curry for my Mr Valentine !! I wore the Red Dress and it was a cozy dinner for two with some mushy moments @ Apt 355.


Preparation Time 30 minutes
Serves 3

Mushroom - 1 pound
Onion - 1/3 cup chopped
Garlic - 1 large clove
Ginger - 1/2 inch
Tomato Puree - 1 tbsp
Cashew Nuts - 6
Honey - 1 tsp
Milk - 2 cups
Kasuri Methi - 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric - 1 pinch
Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
Tomato Ketchup - 1 tsp
Cinnamon - 1 inch
Cardamon - 1
Bay Leaf - 1
Cumin - 1/3 tsp
Salt per taste
Butter - 1 tsp
Oil for cooking


Method of Preparation

1 Clean Mushrooms, chop and keep aside. Make a fine paste of onion, ginger and garlic without adding much water. Grind cashew and make a paste
2 Heat oil and butter in a kadhai/ wok. When warm add cumin seeds and all the whole garam masala. Add the onion ginger garlic paste, turmeric, red chili powder and salt. Fry till there is no raw smell in the masala and till the masala oozes oil. Now add the tomato puree to it and stir in. You may also use store bought tomato paste. Add the coriander powder and fry for 1 minute.
3 Add the chopped mushrooms to the masala and mix well with the masala. Fry on medium heat till the mushrooms sweat. Add cashew paste, kasuri methi and stir in. Also add honey.
4 Pour milk and let it simmer on medium heat till the gravy reaches a thick consistency. Keep stirring intermittently. Add tomato ketchup.
5 Add garam masala powder and simmer for 2 more minutes before switching off the heat.


Serving Tips
Serve warm with Pulao/ Rice/ Roti etc

Notes
You may also add green peas with the mushroom. Tastes equally great.

26 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, fingerlicking malai methi mushroom..Sooo inviting!

Unknown said...

Thats a really yummy recipe with mushroom, love it with rotis..Lovely clicks!

divya said...

Gorgeous and super delicious curry...

aipi said...

What a gorgeous, rich side dish! Love the combination...perfect with buttery garlic naan :)



US Masala

Rachu said...

Glad you took tht walk outside.. and great recipe in turn..

ammaandbaby.blogspot.com/

Elaichii said...

so creamy and I would like some too!

Suja Manoj said...

Delicious and creamy curry,perfect with rotis.

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious combination looks wonderful

Suji said...

That malai methi mushroom lookks heavenly Satrupa.. The title itself is making me just drool here..Amazing clicks too..

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Super recipe...

Unknown said...

Methi and mushroom tats a awesome combination...looks super yum

Deepi's World said...

Love the writeup and clicks are perfect... like the combination of toasted bread with the gravy...colour balancing each other...lovely!

Nandita SS said...

Both the clicks and the clicks are perfect. Just awesome :)

Sharmila said...

Looks super yummy Satrupa! How did you get that awesome colour? :-)

My Kitchen Antics said...

so i now know one more thing 2 make with methi..soo creamy this looks

Oriyarasoi said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a lovely comment !!! The methi-malai-paneer looks absolutely gorgeous !!

foodwanderings said...

OMG this looks absolutely delicious. Madea mistake of looking at your post way past lunch time and I am now even more famished. I wish I could just plunge in and have some!

chef and her kitchen said...

Love mushrooms..the curry looks very creamy n yummy

Lena Jayadev said...

same pinch.. i just finished taking the snap of malai mushroom.. bt i made without methi.. looks delicious

Sushma Mallya said...

looks lovely and v inviting...grt presentation as well!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

yummy curry with mouthwatery awesome clicks dear..:D
Tasty appetite

Unknown said...

Methi and mushroom awesome combination...first time here very happy to follow you

Preety said...

malai methi looks perfect..great to serve with rotis

M D said...

What lovely presentation for an equally delicious Mail Methi Mushroom! Would love to try it your way:)

Raks said...

Wonderful presentation! Lovely clicks too,recipe is new to me and sounds yumm!

Satrupa said...

Thanks everyone for dropping by and leaving your suggestions and comments.

Post a Comment