Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Poached Eggs with Peas .... Easy Peasy Brunch !

"Yatri Gaan krupya dhyaan de .... Train Number 2010, Howrah se Secunderabad jane wali Faluknuma Express teesh (30) minutes vilambh se chal rahi hai. Yaatriyon ki asuvidha k liye humen khed hai". The same announcement was repeated in English and Odiya. Everyone on the Platform were all ears and were listening attentively to the garbled announcement.
I waited for the train along with a dozen, well my family and relatives ..... No not everyone was traveling. In fact I was the only one to board the train. You guessed it right, they were all their to see me off. I felt like I was going to war .... but I was actually going back to college after my semester break. My maternal aunt had reminded me for the infinite time about drinking milk everyday and eating the almonds she had packed. Maa continued with her constant reminders of not talking to strangers on the train and not eating anything from vendors. She had packed Poori and sukhi alu subzi. It was enough to feed my fellow co passengers as well. And it would be unjust if forget about the empty Bisleri bottle which was refilled by dad at home with filter water. He had better reasons to spend those 12 bucks than buying water on the train.



Monu my three year old cousin was after her father's life to buy her a Frooti from the nearest stall. That was her only motivation to come to see anybody off at the station. My uncle finally bought a crate of chilled Frooti for all of us. Monu grabbed two of them one in each hand and sipped it with a straw making a funny sound. The chilled Frooti helped her sober down a bit.
In the mean time there was another announcement ..... it was so taint that we could hardly understand a word. Anyhoo we waited on the same platform after checking with a coolie about the arrival of the train. Sony and Suma .... both in their early teenage were busy flipping pages of 'The Femina' at the nearest Book Wheeler. They were talking to each other about something and giggling.

The Chai wala and Boiled Anda wala were hovering around our bunch. I don't blame them for it ..... Our gang was loud enough to get everybody's attention. The topic of discussions were anything and everything under the Sun. Itu Mousi was worried about her Bai going on a 2 days leave, Aai was apprehensive about the rains and the crops ..... Mom was unhappy about some of her students not faring well in the pre board exams and was tensed about the forthcoming inspection at her school. And as usual dad was sweating and he was just worried about everything !!
Everybody had almost forgotten about the train ..... till they felt the platform tremble. There was another garbled announcement and this time the train had arrived.
Everyone started running towards my coach. Our gang had caused enough inconvenience for the fellow passengers by crowding around my berth. Dad pushed my luggage under the lower berth and locked it with a chain to secure it ... simultaneously giving me some last moment advice. He pulled it twice to ensure that it was firm and locked. Maa and Aai rushed out with moist eyes leaving me feel home sick. Dad hugged me and hurried down. I stood near the door as the train started moving.I waved at them trying to hide my emotions. The train gained speed and I was alone with a cyclone of emotions ....


The inspiration for this recipe comes from Prerna's IndianSimmer - . She is one of the most gorgeous food blogger I have come across. I have tweaked the recipe a bit but you can find the original one here.

Preparation Time 30 minutes
Serves 3
Ingredients
Large Eggs -3
Green Peas - 2/12 cups
Chopped Onion - 1/2 cup
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
Green Chilies - 2
Coriander Powder - 1 tbsp
Curry Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt per taste



Method of Preparation

1. Heat oil in a wok and saute the chopped onions. Add chopped green chilies, corriander powder and curry powder. Mix in well.
2. Add the peas and stir in. Add salt and cook till the peas are soft.
3. In another pan heat some oil. Break an egg and poach it. Sprinkle some salt on it. Once the egg is cooked remove from heat

Serving Tips
Serve warm with your choice of bread over a bed of peas.







27 comments:

Unknown said...

Healthy ....Beautiful Pics

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

sounds n looks wonderful Satrupa..
Tasty appetite

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Looks great...nice pictures...

FunWidFud

Priya Suresh said...

Simply delicious, would love to have both anytime..

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Lovely Pictures and a healthy breakfast choice!

Suja Manoj said...

Simple and delicious..nice clicks dear

Kankana said...

That is a perfect brunch .. indeed! I remember those days when everybody would come to see me off .. i used to happy and sad .. you know back to friends and fun .. but sad because I will have to miss Mom's cooked food !

Lopa said...

But you never tried to hide your emotions! You boo-booed all the time :)

aipi said...

Gorgeous picture n equally beautiful- delicious looking brunch :)


US Masala

Smita P said...

deliciuos... and beautiful brunch... to make any sunday brunch...perfect!!!

Elaichii said...

Healthy breakfast! Doesn't poaching involve dropping the egg in water??

Prema said...

very nice and delicious recipe...tempting pics!

chef and her kitchen said...

Looks yumm..nice combo

Unknown said...

Lovely clicks n delicious recipe

My Kitchen Antics said...

i like the sound of that..easy peasy..
brunch is def my fav meal of the day

Plateful said...

Wow, beautiful shots! Honestly, I was enjoying the pics and didn't bother to check the rest of the post..great job!

Rachu said...

AAAh beautifully written.. you made me pass through similar situations of mine.. the family gang, femina, tea.. all hulabaloos in the station.... nice read.. oh ya btw eggs and peas.. healthy and looks great.
ammaandbaby.blogspot.com/

Suji said...

wow, Simple and yummy meal Satrupa :)

Rani acharyulu said...

Ha ha,Nice read... And recipe looks healthy and delicious.
cheers

Malar Gandhi said...

Wow, better than mashed potatoes...love this healthy combo'

Chitra said...

Nice read, Lovely combo,First time here. ur blog is wonderful :)

Elaichii said...

Thanks for clarifying "poached"!

Anonymous said...

loved the recipe, and nice narration, this is so similar:)
hopped to your blog, and glad to find you.
will browse your wonderful blog for more intersting recipes

Raks said...

Clicks are too good!

Unknown said...

ur story reminds me of my days when i sued to travel to another state for my master thesis, god nostalgic,.....lovely clicks and i love eggs...slurp :D

Anju Rathore said...

your story is very sweet n easy-peasy brunch idea is very innovative.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

gorgeous click... love it...

Post a Comment