Thursday, August 21, 2014

The guy next door and Baby Potatoes Masala



The first time we met was in the elevator of our apartment. I smiled at him and he too did shyly as our eyes met. And even before we could steal glances the elevator stopped and we departed. And I secretly wished to meet this guy again. We had shifted to our new home ..... a newly built apartment overlooking the swanky IT hub of ITPL. And I got on with my work, running around the interior guys, fixing things and settling down that I almost forgot about this guy. 
It was a lazy sunday morning and I was sipping my morning tea when I heard some voices in the corridor. Eager as I was to make new friends and socialize I rushed to open the door. It was the same guy ..... Good Lord we are neighbors, I said to myself. As I picked up the newspaper and the milk packets from the front door I greeted him with a "Hi" and so did he with some reservations. 
It's been over a month now .... and we meet often. He is no longer shy but demanding ....... We have opened up. And we love to spend time together especially in the evenings. And on days when we don't we both get anxious. 
And yes ....... I do share my special meals with him as good neighbors should. So last time I made potato finger chips, I sent a plateful of it. It was late eve and J was back from work and I was in the kitchen prepping for dinner. The door bell rang. My husband answered it .... and there he was standing at the door. He conveniently ignored J and peeped inside to see if he could find me around. I knew it was him. I wiped my wet hands and rushed to the door. I kneeled down so that I could see his face clearly in the dim ambience lights. He kissed me lightly on my cheeks and said "Thank you Aunty, the finger chips were yummy and then paused to say "just like you" ! Meet him he is lil D ( a six year old) my next door neighbor and my secret admirer. 

So here I am back after almost a year of blog break. And nothing fancy but a comfort meal as one can never get wrong with potatoes. 


Preparation Time - 30 minutes
Serves - 2 
Ingredients
Baby Potatoes - 250 gms
Onion - 1 small
Tomato - 1 small
Ginger - 1 inch
Garlic - 4-5 pods
Cinnamon - 1 inch 
Cardamom - 2 
Bayleaf - 1
Cumin Powder - 1 pinch
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric - 1 small pinch
Cayenne Pepper/ Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt -  to taste 
Oil for cooking 



Method of Preparation

1.  Prik the potatoes with a fork and boil them in a pressure cooker adding some salt to it. When done      peel and keep aside. 
2.  Make a paste of Onion, ginger and garlic. Puree the tomato separately.
3. In a wok add about 2 tsp of oil and a pinch of turmeric to it. When the oil gets smoking add the potatoes and toss it for few minutes till lightly browned. Remove and keep aside.
4. Take another 2 tbsp of oil in a wok. When warm add cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaf. Now add the onion ginger garlic paste to it. Stir and fry the masala till the masala is cooked and there is no raw smell. Add tomato puree, turmeric, cumin powder,chili powder and salt. Cook for few more minutes till the masala starts leaving oil at the sides. Finally add a pinch of garam masala to it.
5. Add the potatoes to the masala and mix well so that the potatoes get coated with the masala.
6. Garnish with chopped corriander leaves. (Optional).

Serve warm with your choice of roti/ paratha/ naan. 

6 comments:

Suji said...

Satrupa, its been so long..How u you dear?

The potato looks yummo!!!!

Satrupa said...

Thanks Suji for remembering me. Yeah pretty long time but I am glad I am back doing what I love most.

Oriyarasoi said...

god to see you back...........i always enjoyed reading ur posts

Priya Suresh said...

Thats wonderful to see you back Satrupa..trust me, initially i thought that guy is ur better half, lol..thats wonderful to have a secret admirer like this... Baby potatoes are torturing me.

Bikram said...

welcome back :) and you got a admirer .. right i hope you remeber the your old blogger admirers tooooooo :) he he he he and not forget them

and that looks yummmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy i too want some
Bikram's

Angie's Recipes said...

Welcome back!
Can't go wrong with a bowl of well flavoured potatoes and some flatbreads!

Post a Comment