Monday, June 1, 2015

Homemade Bounty Truffles / Coconut Truffles


I grew up in coastal Odisha where there are plenty of coconut trees and the use of coconut in cooking is also extensive. Especially sweet dishes called "Pitha". So I have a strong liking for coconut and use it liberally in my cooking. Because making Pitha needs patience and perfection I hardly venture into that area. I like things that are simple to make and where the scope of going wrong is minimal. Due to my love for coconut, I became a big fan of the Bounty chocolate the first time I tasted it. I can gobble half a dozen of it in a go. Kind of crazy, if you can say so. 


I don't think there would be anyone in this world who doesn't love chocolates.The richness of chocolate and the nutty coconut flavor makes me crave for it. I always wanted to replicate the same in my kitchen. And after a few experiments I nailed it.  The ingredients can be easily found in one's pantry and the process extremely simple. Even an amateur in the kitchen can make it. Making this with your kids is a great activity. And the best part, it can be done in no time.



Ingredients

Dessicated coconut (dry) - 2 cups
Condensed Milk - 1 cup (I use Amul)
Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
Dark chocolate shredded - 1/2 cup (packed)
White Chocolate (Optional)



Method of Preparation

Dry roast the dessicated coconut in an open pan on minimum heat for a minute. Add condensed milk and vanilla essence. Mix well with a wooden spatula till condensed milk and the dessicated coconut get incorporated.
Remove from heat. Grease your hands with a little butter. Take a little of the mixture and roll it between your palms to make smooth balls.Once all the balls are done, cover and keep it in fridge for fifteen minutes.



Next, Take the shredded dark chocolate in a double boiler and melt it to a smooth liquid. Else you can melt it in microwave too.
Take the coconut balls out of the fridge. Dip in the chocolate to coat it on all sides. Remove and keep it on a parchment paper. Repeat till all are done. Again keep it back in the fridge till the chocolate becomes firm.
Next melt a little white chocolate and drizzle on the balls (optional)
Your home made Bounty is ready.

4 comments:

Nandita SS said...

Bounty is a weakness of mine!!! You have got the recipe bang on!! Great write up and great photography as always :)

shweta Sylvia jani said...

love this ! Thank you for sharing the recipe

Rajani said...

Been wanting to try this for the kids. Now I will, tempted by your recipe and pictures even more!

Sandhya Hariharan said...

Bounty truffles look absolutely yumm and it was fun reading your stories...

Post a Comment