Monday, June 28, 2010

Sweet Corn Chaat


I cleaned the kitchen, lit the candles and set the table for dinner. My friends were coming over this eve for a casual dinner and chit chat. I felt something missing ..... yes, it was the appetizer !! I quickly looked at the clock .....I had only 30 minutes for my friends to arrive. I panicked .... went up to the kitchen and scanned the refrigerator .... I had some ready to eat samosas but that was not what I could serve them .... those greasy looking monsters (samosas). My friends belong to the category of healthy eaters ..... they count their calories as they eat. (Hope they will not kill me for this).
I wanted something quick,easy and different (after all it was a golden opportunity to show off !! .... I didn't want to leave any chances to demonstrate my culinary skills ! ).
Eureka !! I knew what I was going to serve ..... Sweet Corn Chaat !
Preparation Time - 20 minutes
Serves - 4
Ingredients
Sweet Corn Kernels - 2 cups
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Boiled potato - 1
Chopped Onions - 1/2 cup
Tomato - 1
Cucumber - 1
Green Chillis - 2
Lemon juice - 2 tsp
Chat Masala - 2 tsp
Olive oil - 1 tsp
Butter - 1/2 tsp
Salt to Taste
Method of Preparation
1 Boil Potatoes and cut into small cubes. Finely chop tomatoes, cucumber and green chillis.
2 Heat oil and add cumin seeds and chopped green chillis to sputter. Add chopped onions and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add a pinch of salt. Add the Corn Kernels and mix well. If the kernels get watery fry for 5 minutes to remove unwanted moisture.
3 Remove to a separate bowl.Add butter when still hot. Mix boiled potatoes, cucumber and tomatoes to it. Also add lemon juice and chat masala. Give it a rough stir to mix the ingredients well.
4 Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Serving Tips
Serve warm
Italic
Variation
Use frozen corn kernels for a quick fix appetizer. You may also use the fresh ones. Fresh always tastes better !
If you want it more spicy, add more green chillis.
Adding potatoes makes it wholesome. You may add more of cucumber and tomatoes instead of boiled potatoes.
Use any oil if you do not have olive oil.
Instead of lemon juice and chat masala, use any store bought Italian dressing as well.
Other Names - Sweet Corn Salad.


0 comments:

Post a Comment