Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Kathal Masala


We have a Kathal Tree in our backyard at my in - laws. Ever since my mother in law mentioned about the kathal sabji she prepared I literally dreamt about it. In the early summer months tender jackfruit is found in abundance .... and imagine getting it from your own backyard and cooking it !! Can't ask for more ..... But I am not so lucky to find anything so fresh so I settled for the frozen ones. I convinced my self saying 'something is better than nothing' .... The curry came out well but nothing can be a substitute to fresh veggies from your kitchen garden ... that is one thing I can bet !
Preparation Time - 40 minutes
Serves - 4
Ingredients
Tender Jackfruit cubed - 2 cups
Onion - 1 medium size
Ginger - garlic paste - 2 tsp
Tomato - 1
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Cinnamon Powder - 1/2 tsp
Red Chillie Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Bay Leaves - 2
Salt per taste
Oil for cooking
Method of Preparation
1 Select a tender jackfruit. Cut it into cubes. Pressure cook till soft. You may also microwave it.Keep aside.
2 Finely chop the onions (chop it into long pieces). Chop tomatoes and keep aside.
3 Heat oil in a kadhai. Add Bay leaves and onions. Fry the onions till they are brown. Now add the ginger garlic paste and tomatoes. Also add turmeric, chili and coriander powder. Keep stirring the masala till thoroughly cooked.
4 Add about 1/2 cup of water and simmer.
5 Combine the boiled jackfruit to it along with cinnamon powder and cook till few minutes.
Serving Tips
Serve hot with rice or Roti/Paratha.
Notes
Oil your hands properly before you cut the jackfruit, else it will stick to your hands.
Make sure the masala is properly cooked before you add the jackfruit to it.
Variation
You may use frozen cut jackfruit and canned tomato puree instead.
Instead of Cinnamon powder add garam masala powder.
Other Names
Kathal Masala - Panasa Kasa, Kathal - Tender Jackfruit, Panasa Katha, Bay Leaves - Tej Patta, Coriander - Dhania,Cumin - Jeera, Cinnamon - Dalchini.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I have always wanted to try this recipe. The photo looks so nice :)

PranisKitchen said...

realy delicious jackfruit masala.. we used to prepare stir fry this one sounds interesting..

Priya Suresh said...

Fantastic masala, am yet to try with tender jackfruits, masala looks yummy and interesting..

Suja Manoj said...

Delicious masala..sounds an interesting recipe...beautiful clicks.

Prema said...

Kathal Masala luks delicious dear,never had this before,will try it...

Umm Mymoonah said...

Wow! looks so yummy, perfect side dish.

Sulagna said...

We have a big jackfruit tree in our backyard back home and Mom prepares this dish with jackfruit fresh from the garden :) But I have to settle for the canned stuff here..I think chinese supermarkets keep fresh ones !!

Satrupa said...

I am glad that you all like the recipe. Hope you all try this sometime. Let me know if you liked it (or not) !!

Cheers n Happy Cooking!
Satrupa

Anonymous said...

Hey,this totally reminds me of my mummy.We use to have this veg in our household very frequently bcoz everyone in my family is fond of Kathal.I almost forgot this veg here in US but u have refreshed my memories n i will also go for a frozen one.

Post a Comment