Monday, September 27, 2010

Chicken Fry



I am so not a movie person .... I am pretty picky about the movies I watch. If the movie doesn't hold my attention for the first 15 minutes I simply choose to dump it.I don't care even if it's a Tom Hank's or Brad Pitt's movie. On the contrary, if I like something I never get bored of it and can watch it for ever !! I know some people think that's ridiculous but sorry that's how it is.
Of the few movies that could make their way to my good books is 'Julie n Julia'. I fell so much in love with the characters of the movie that I went ahead in buying the DVD. Thanks to J who persuaded me to watch it when I was so not in the mood for a movie.

Every time I watch the movie I step into the shoes of Julie Powell - She is a government employee by day who is not so happy with her job but has to keep it for the heck of it. She loves cooking, that is something where she finds true happiness and which is so much a stress buster at the end of a busy boring day. She jumps with joy with the little happiness she finds through her way to cooking and gets equally upset when things don't work out her way. She cries like a child when her Beef bourguignon gets burnt. Well I am so much like her in my real life. That's how I feel. And with J telling me the same I have started believing that.

Also did I mention that she blogs about food and jumps with excitement seeing the first comment on her post. Julie believes that the world would come to a stand still and her readers would terribly get upset if she doesn't write.

Today I was so not in the mood to post anything on my blog. But then there was this strange belief that my blog friends and readers would be waiting for my post. Not sure if that is true at all !! So here I am .... I have ignored the pile of clothes that are crying out to be folded and kept in the closet,given a blind eye to the dust that has set on the books and given a deaf ear to J's demand for pakodas on this rainy eve.



Not sure if any body out there is waiting to read my blog but here I am writing ......the truth being it brings solace to me.

Preparation Time - 40 minutes
Serves - 3
Ingredients
Boneless Chicken - 1/2 pound
Egg - 1
Corn Flour - 1 tsp
Dry Red Chilies - 2
Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
Chopped Garlic - 1 tbsp
Chopped Ginger - 1/2 tbsp
Ginger Garlic Sauce - 1 tbsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp
Lemon Juice - 1 tsp
Cashew Nuts - 1/3 cup
Salt per taste
Oil for cooking.
Method of Preparation
1 Cut the chicken into small bite size pieces. Wash and pat dry.
2 Add corn flour + 1/2 tsp red chili powder and egg to the chicken. Mix well to coat the chicken.
3 Heat some oil in a Kadhai and shallow fry the chicken. Remove to a paper towel and keep aside.
4 Take about 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan. When hot, break the dry red chilies and add to the oil. Add chopped garlic and ginger and fry on medium heat for 5 minutes. Next add the cumin powder and remaining red chili powder and mix well.
5 Add the fried chicken to it and mix well. Add the cashewnuts too. Add salt per taste.
6 Add the chili garlic sauce to it and stir well to coat the chicken pieces. If it is too dry, sprinkle a little water to it.
7 Saute till all the flavors mix and remove to a serving plate. Sprinkle lime juice on top of it and mix well.
Serving Tips
Serve as a starter at room temperature.
Notes
Do not over fry the chicken, else it may become rubbery.
Variation
You may increase or decrease the amount of chili garlic sauce to make it more / less spicy.
Adding cashew nuts is also optional.


19 comments:

Satya said...

..i always love to read your writeup n eagerly wait for ur post...blogging is connecting n there is no harm in keeping a little work aside ; p ... u chicken fry looks delicious...nice click too

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Looks good Satrupa! And I can tell from the list of spices that it is delicious to boot!
Great post. I loved that movie too.

Torviewtoronto said...

fried chicken cashew in it sounds delicious

Sulagna said...

I love reading ur write-ups and wait eagerly for your post too:) This looks delicious !!

Best Regards
Sulagna
http://e-senseofspicenfragrance-sulagna.blogspot.com/

Suji said...

SAtrupa..i always wait for your posts...I love the way to write ups..Am not like you dear, i can watch any movie any time no matter story, cast n crew..he he...

Chicken fry looks stunning with those cute clicks...

Daisy Roshan said...

that is a crunchy chicken fry....and love the write up....it gives a personal connection after all...

Sushma Mallya said...

yummy chicken fry, i can have all of those

Unknown said...

I just met you last week I think..But I started to love the flare of your writing skill...It’s very joyful and there is always a continuous flow that tells me what you have in your mind it’s always in front of us thru your posts....Julie and Julia is also one of my favourites...Even I also suggested by one of my close friends and found it a real life story that is telling not about anybody else but us....I even started to write a review on it..but lazy me not yet penned down to give it a final touch...let’s see whether your post inspires me to do the undone job fast....

Now let me tell you the magic words- I missed your post..:)

Tempting dish.....

Priya Suresh said...

Mouthwatering chicken fry, am loving it..

Suja Manoj said...

Crunchy and yummy chicken fry..looks super delicious..love reading your post,just like a dear friend to me ..a personnel connection.

Deepi's World said...

Hi Satrupa...Keep doing things that brings joy to you that's what matters the most.Your write up is stright from the heart and very touching just as the movie Julie and Julia. Another thing I noticed is the serving bowl... looks cute.

Shabitha Karthikeyan said...

I simply love your cute write up and any food blogger would surely love the movie. Truly a wonderful chicken dry !!!

aipi said...

Delicious n full of flavors..lovely presentation!

US Masala

Anju Rathore said...

Hey even I am planning to watch this movie from the day I saw this trailer but I always wait for a perfect time to see movie and that happens very rare so my "must see movie list" keeps getting bigger n bigger. Not to forget, Chicken looks tempting.

Unknown said...

WOW!! Chicken fry looks very tempting..Love Julie and Julia :)

Pushpa said...

Chicken fry looks delicious and yummy.Will be great with any cold drink.

Pushpa @ simplehomefood.com

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

love your style of writing... lovely chicken fry!

My Kitchen Antics said...

how such a simple dish can make life more peaceful right:)
btw did i see it right? betty crockers INDIAN cooking??? really?

Satrupa said...

I am totally floored by all the luv and affection you guys show towards me n my blog. A big THANKS to every one ....

@ An Open Book - Dear, you have an eye for details .... yah it's Betty Crocker's INDIAN cooking. I had picked it from my local library. Was curious about Betty n Indian .... lol. An average book :D

Post a Comment