Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Egg Curry .....


This week began with a pile load of pending stuff. I am struggling to make things work ..... can't blame anyone but myself for this situation. Well I can ....... blame it on the weather. The cloudy rainy days dampen my mood and make me lazy. Not to forget the dropping temperature.
I wish I had a magic lamp like Aladdin ...... rub it and the Genie appears saying 'Kya hukum hai mere aka'. And then I can read out my never ending wish list to him. Yah I know that's called day dreaming ..... but there is no harm in dreaming if that makes you feel good.
But I am well aware that nothing like that is ever going to happen. So to lighten my spirits I decided to cook, to take a break from the mundane life.
Ever since I saw the egg curry recipe from Madhur Jaffrey's Cookbook on Indian Simmer, I was desperate to prepare it. The inspiration - Prerna :-) , the blog owner who posted this as her 50th post celebration. Her recipe and clicks are a sure motivation for food lovers. Every time I see her posts I can't stop myself from drooling. Wish she was my neighbor.
So today I decided to make this egg curry ..... I tweaked the recipe a little bit though.

It was perfect combination with plain basmati rice for this busy day.

Preparation Time - 30 minutes
Serves 2
Ingredients
Boiled Eggs - 4
Grated Onion - 1/2 cup
Grated Ginger - 1/2 tsp
Grated Garlic - 1/2 tsp
Tomato Paste - 1 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/3 tsp
Crushed Black Pepper - 1 big pinch
Turmeric Powder - 1/3 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 1/3 tsp
Salt per taste
Oil for cooking
Method of Preparation
1 Heat about 1 tbsp of oil in a kadhai. Add a pinch of turmeric to it. When the oil is hot add the boiled eggs to it. Fry the eggs till they are golden in color. Remove and keep aside.
2 Add the grated onion, ginger and garlic to the hot oil now. Add turmeric and salt and fry till the masala gets cooked and leaves oil. (Approximately 10 minutes).
3 Add the tomato paste to it and mix into the masala.
4 In a separate bowl mix Cumin + Coriander + Red Chili Powder. Add a little water to make a paste.
5 Add this paste to the cooked masala and fry for 2 minutes. Add about 2/3 cup of water and let the gravy simmer.
6 Add the eggs to it and cook for two minutes.
7 Add garam masala powder and simmer for a minute.
8 Remove from heat and sprinkle the crushed pepper on it.
Serving Tips
Serve warm with rice.
Notes
Do not over fry the eggs. The oil should be hot when you fry the eggs, else the eggs will stick to the vessel.
Variation
Use fresh pureed tomato if tomato paste is not available.
Other Names
Egg Curry - Anda Curry.

23 comments:

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

almost everyday we eat this for dinner and its a classic. your version is great will try this soon dear.

Unknown said...

Such a tempting egg curry!! Superb recipe, will give it a try soon..

Treat and Trick said...

Looks great and really yum!

My Kitchen Antics said...

i make it more or less the same way...love the colour and im actually drooling

Sushma Mallya said...

Very beautiful clicks, tempting and looks yum

Unknown said...

I always look for differen egg curries...tis one sounds delicious

Priya Suresh said...

Such a tempting egg curry, feel like having some with hot steaming rice now..

Nitha said...

thats a real tempting one.. shall tryt hus out soon...

Lena Jayadev said...

wowww..loved this version..i make in a difffersent way...this looks awesome..love to have with appam.. :)

Suji said...

Wow Satrupa..I loved all the pictures first and recipe looks just perfect.will surely giv ethis a try soon....

Suja Manoj said...

Making me drool..tempting egg curry,love your version ..will surely try.

PreeOccupied said...

Thats a beautiful egg curry, S. Love the color and the presentation.

Pavithra Elangovan said...

The egg curry my fav one.. this looks super tempting. The color and texture are both tempting me.

aipi said...

Perfectly done. Looks so good !!!

US Masala

Torviewtoronto said...

yummy egg curry delicious presentation

Prerna@IndianSimmer said...

Thanks so much Satrupa for trying this recipe and giving it a space here! I love your version and I guess grating the masala before cooking makes the gravy even smoother and thicker. My mom does it this way and I love it.
Great blog!

Anju Rathore said...

Egg curry looks very tempting.I use to make egg curry with little hard work during the first few years of my marriage but these days egg curry has become a kind of 10 minute recipe for me.I hope again someday I put little efforts on egg curry for a little different taste.

Anonymous said...

Egg curry looks awesome, Just love the fact that egg curry goes with anything rice, roti, bread. Never get bored of preparing it.Shall try your recipe sometime too.
Thanks for posting!

Unknown said...

If my hubby sees the dish...he is surely going to give a jump in to screen....delicious...

Satya said...

Hi Dear

Egg Curry looks awesome ... it is my favourite too .. I used to have it a lot in my hostel life at least weekly twice n it used to be a feast..ur egg curry brings back all sweet memories I had at college...lovely clicks too

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Satrupa said...

Thanks everyone for the generous response for this humble egg curry :)

NIDHYA said...

Egg curry looks spicy and mouthwatering...Yep, rain makes the day lazy and slothful. I totally understand.

Aaha Oho

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

egg curry looks spicy and yummy!

Post a Comment