Monday, January 31, 2011

A Bitter Monday ..... Stuffed Karela


So it was Monday morning. The blaring alarm went on until I slipped out of my warm cozy bed to stop it. Blaring because it was no Cuckoo clock but an old mechanical table clock. And believe me the fancy alarms won't work for me .... there are plenty available in the market these days. Bhajans, Instrumentals, and Bollywood filmi song alarm clocks. Yes I can afford one of those. And truly this bulky table clock looks nothing close to being attractive.
My grandmother had given me this 'Khandani' table clock on the day I left to hostel. And I am carrying it wherever I go. Call me an emotional fool if you like so ..... but that is the truth. My weekdays start with the alarm. And somehow I have a strong bonding with the clock.

This was no special Monday ..... I woke up trying to reach out the alarm clock. Baiji (My Cook)had arrived. Baiji was in her mid forties. She would be there dot on time every morning. Her starched cotton saree would be neatly wrapped with the pleats perfectly in place, her coconut oil smeared hair combed with a Malli Phula Gajra (Jasmine flower garland). She would smell like Lux soap. It was monday morning for her too and she was as usual grumbling at me for not stocking up the fridge with vegetables even after a weekend. I heard her chop the vegetables, her glass bangles made a nice jingle ..... she was cooking at an electrifying speed. Breakfast and Lunch had to be done in an hours time. The only reason I engaged her inspite of she trying to boss me and her frequent grumbling sessions was her food. Baiji was an amazing cook ..... unlike others she would cook with love. Everyday she would walk me up to the bus stop before going to the other houses.
As she handed me a neatly packed lunch box ..... 'Karela' she said with an evil smile. She knew my dislike for that vegetable. And it was sweet revenge for her for not stocking up the vegetables or getting the much needed grocery on time.
I was getting late for the bus and it was just not the time to worry about Karela or anything. All I was focused on was hopping on the bus and take a nap before reaching office.

Like always I saw many confused and sleepy faces in the bus and at office too. Half the day passed away talking about weekend. It was time for lunch ..... I opened my lunch box with with no enthusiasm at all .... and there was no one to blame. The stuffed karela's stared at me .... I preferred to exchange my lunch box with Saloni. Her mom had packed some amazing alu parathas. And she snatched mine .... yaaa she loved Karelas. She ate the first one and insisted on me trying one. The bitter truth was I loved it too. It was love at first bite !
So it was Monday again but the alarm didn't go off. I made these cute stuffed karelas remembering Baiji and thanking her for making my bitter monday a sweet one.


Ingredients

Small Karelas/ Bitter Gourd - 8 nos
Mashed Potato - 1/2 cup
Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
Amchur Powder/ Dry mango powder - 1 big pinch
Salt to taste
Oil for frying


Method of Preparation

1 Scrape the Karelas/ bitter gourd lightly. Make a slit. Take water in a microwavable bowl. Add some salt to it. Dip the karelas/bitter gourd and microwave it for 3-4 minutes till they are soft. You may also boil it if you do not have a microwave. Remove from water andsqueeze it dry. Remove the seeds.
2 To the mashed potato add the dry masala and mix well. Add salt per taste.
3 Now stuff the masala into the karelas/bitter gourd.
4 Add some oil on a tawa/pan. When hot fry the karela/ bitter gourd. Fry on all sides till cooked. You may also opt to shallow fry it. But I prefer the tawa version as it is less oily.

Serving Tips

Serve warm with Rice

29 comments:

Love2cook Malaysia said...

Stuffed bitter gourds make me really hungry right now! Owh nooo ;)

Torviewtoronto said...

looks delicious lovely stuffing

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Looks yummy....will try this...My hus wud love it as bitter gourds are his fav....

http://funwidfud.blogspot.com

Prerna@IndianSimmer said...

U know what, I've been thinking of sharing a karela recipe for a while myself and stuffed ones are my favorites too although my mom used to make 'em a little different with dry masala stuffed in it. But I'm sure potatoes cut a bit of biiterness from them.

Suji said...

I never ever thought of stuffed karela, its one of my fav favv veggie, i would love to have it in any form and this is such a great idea...

Rekha said...

hey, y didn;t I see this post earlier, MIl is making karelas today even as I post this comment....hmm, will have to wait for the next batch to arrive before I try this out.

Aruna Manikandan said...

sounds interesting and new to me...
looks delicious dear..
Thx. for sharing :)

Anu said...

Wow..i liked it alot..will try this for sure...

Sushma Mallya said...

Never thought of using bittergourd this way,but surely would love to try this one soon...

Sasmita said...

I make stuffed-karelas, but here we get only big karelas. Yours are smaller, so must be better !!

That tastes good!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

oh wow...my mouth is watering now...tempting clicks again da..
Tasty appetite

Rani acharyulu said...

Hi
Stuffed karela's that too less oil,so healthy. Wonderful and amazing recipe. Thanks for sharing.
I am happy to follow you, I like to invite you to visit my blog.

cheers
rani

Suja Manoj said...

Never tried stuffed karela's..sounds great idea and delicious stuffing,will surely try this.

Elaichii said...

Very flavorful stuffing for the karela!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

looks so yum... love it...
I am not a fan of karela either...

Unknown said...

very detailed and nice presentation - Love stuffed karelas altho i don't get to make them often since my kids taste buds are still developing and has not reached their fullest aesthetic potential ;))

Priya Suresh said...

Stuffed karelas looks simply fabulous, love it.

PreeOccupied said...

What all did you learn from your Baiji? Great looking karelas with their stuffing. Honestly, I dont like karelas either.

Reshmi Mahesh said...

There is a award for your great work in my blog.Please do collect it.Keep up your great work.Thanks

http://funwidfud.blogspot.com

vandana rajesh said...

The stuffed karelas look awesome.

aipi said...

Loved the cute stuffed karelas. I never added pototo in the stuffing, just onion n masala..will try your version..The last click is too good!!

US Masala

Raks said...

I am not a big fan of bitter gourd,but I am telling you,your pics jus make me drool,lovely recipe and lovely clicks!

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Award from me.Please do collect it...;)

FunWidFud

Unknown said...

Karela is not my veg at all, but i enjoyed reading and loved all those pictures, beautifully if one day any magic happens for me to eat i will hop in Here :D

divya said...

First time here ..loved ur blog and am glad following u.Stuffed karela looks sooooooooo tempting and delicious...nice clicks..

My Kitchen Antics said...

not a big karela fan but the stuffing looks great

Rachu said...

Karela was never this appealing!!.. looks so yummm..

ammaandbaby.blogspot.com/

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Looks very perfect and eye catching. super blog.

Satrupa said...

Thank you everyone for so many encouraging comments. I too had never been a karela fan but this one was sure good !

Post a Comment