Thursday, January 27, 2011

Dahi Chicken or Doi Murgh



We are in the last week of January ..... Yeaah everyone knows that. But do you know that I have been able to keep my resolutions. So for all those pessimists who thought that resolutions are made to be broken or that they walk out of the door the very next day, it is indeed BAD NEWS !
Of course I am out of bed by 8am ..... I swear. Weekends are the only exceptions and that's allowed. I breathe my lungs out and get all the oxygen around me .... that is what Pranayama teaches right ? I even tried opening my windows early morning in the middle of the worst winter .... that was the stupidest thing to do.
I have emptied a pack of cereals in two weeks which means that I have not skipped Breakfast. And and I have not shopped anything other than groceries ( that's so not me) ..... Frankly I myself also find it difficult to accept.
And by now you must know my creative side.
Let me stop bragging before one of you asks me to ....
But there is one thing where I fumbled ...... Blogging and visiting all your blogs. Ahhh Obsession. But you like that right ..... me reading your blogs :D So that's one thing that I decided to compromise just for the sake of my blog friends.
But are you really happy for me ? Come one tell the truth .... at least once. No, it won't hurt me.
Any hooo let me come to the recipe and cut my crap before you decide to navigate away from this page.
This is my mother's recipe ...... so if you like it let me know. If you don't blame it on her.

Preparation Time 40 minutes

Ingredients

Chicken - 1 pound (with or without bones)
Curd - 1/3 cup
Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp (per taste)
Turmeric - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Chicken Curry Masala - 2 tsp
Onion - 2 big finely chopped
Ginger - 1 inch minced
Garlic - 5 cloves minced
Whole Black Pepper - 10
Bay Leaf - 1
Whole Cinnamon - 2 inches
Cardamom - 2
Salt per taste
Oil for cooking


Method of Preparation

1 Clean the chicken, remove skin and keep aside. I made this with boneless meat but it tastes even better with bones.
2 Add curd, red chili powder, turmeric Powder, salt and all the whole garam masala/ spices to the chicken. Marinate and keep aside in fridge for at least an hour.
3 Heat oil in a kadhai. When hot add the ginger and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the chopped onions to it and saute till they are brown.
4 Add the marinated chicken to the masala and mix well. Add the cumin, coriander and chicken masala. Mix in all the ingredients. Add more salt to adjust the taste if required.
5 Cover and cook. Make sure to stir intermittently else the masala would stick to the bottom of the kadhai.
Add a little water if required. Cook till the chicken is tender. Garnish with a little chopped coriander leaves.

Serving Tips

Serve hot with Naan or Roti

19 comments:

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Wow awesome meal in a beautiful table.. Reserve a seat for me.

aipi said...

One month down,eleven more to go and I am positive you will make it through (I am totally with you on making an exception on blogging :)

Your place setting looks really romantic!

US Masala

Torviewtoronto said...

yummy combination and preparation

Unknown said...

my mom makes it the same way :)

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

bookmarked dear...wanna try asap..
Tasty appetite

Sushma Mallya said...

Yummy!!perfect with those naan...

Indian Khana said...

Looks absolute delicious ...love the spread ...

Priya Suresh said...

Slurp,fingerlicking dahi chicken,soooo tempting..

Love2cook Malaysia said...

Super yummy chicken...loved the whole table! :D

Oriyarasoi said...

Delicious chicken preparaton......wud love to grab it!!!

Suji said...

Oh my.Satrupa, awesome chicken recipe and pretty pretty presenattion dear...

Suja Manoj said...

Perfect fingerlicking curry,looks very inviting.

PreeOccupied said...

Perfect first picture. Table for two with your doi chicken.

Urmila said...

a tempting meal......I love ur writeups

Soumya said...

loved the first picture...beautiful and romantic...Dahi chicken looks delicious and tempting with those naans...irresistible

Akila said...

lovely chick curry dear.... love it....

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Obsession - I agree... Same for me...
Glad you are back to it...
dahi chicken - yum...

Unknown said...

love ur first click and congrats that you are on track with ur resolution keep it going :) and mum's recipe are the best chick look so yum :)

Satrupa said...

@ Pavitra .. I have a seat reserved for you and waiting :-)
@ Aipi .. Yah it's just a month and 11 more to go. Wish me luck gurl !
@ Pree - Table for two is reserved :D

@ All .... Thanks a ton for your encouraging words and those lovely comments. You made my day !

Post a Comment