Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Chicken Kohlapuri




What were my last year's resolution ....... Oh you must be kidding me !! Didn't I mention earlier that I suffer from ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). So this year I decided not to waste time penning my resolution ... It's so cool to kick your heels and relax. No obligations what so ever ! For once it feels great not having any ambitious new year plans. Totally relaxing .....  I must confess.

The husband is also so much at ease ....... well once in a while he too deserves a life. I am sure many of you would be nodding your head in affirmation. For a change he didn't have to go through my mood swings and pangs about not arranging a "happening" new year eve. 
This year strangely there were no emotions brewing. I didn't wish to be amongst those thousand crazy souls who hooted, hugged and kissed as the historic crystal ball dropped at Times Square in New York or even at Brigade Road in Bangalore.I am probably still having the hangover of last years new year eve and thus decided to have a more sober one .How sober I leave it completely to your imagination. 
So unlike the past there were no tables booked and no lavish spread in those fancy restaurants. And I suck when it comes to handling crowded places ....... and of course the pressure of looking good and dressing up for the occasion simply adds a lot of pressure. Yes you have a hundred eyes staring at you to death as you struggle with the silver cutlery.
So I decided to stretch my legs and curl up on the sofa, be my own DJ ,sip my drink ..... courtesy my very own bartender J, lick my fingers and smack my plates clean. Simply being my self, not allowing anyone to be judgmental of me ! And can it get any better for a new beginning.

Hope you all had a wonderful and rocking year ...... So here's a recipe that's sure to spice it up :)


Preparation Time - 90 mnts
Serves - 6 
Ingredients
2 lbs chicken, skin removed and cut into medium pieces
1/4 cup oil
For marinating: 
2 tablespoons yogurt
1 tablespoon turmeric
2 tablespoon red chili powder (more or less) 
2-3  tablespoons Spice Mix 
Salt
For the main Sauce: 
3 large onions finely sliced
3-4 cloves of garlic, sliced or minced
2″ fresh ginger, grated or thinly sliced
1/3 can coconut milk
3/4 cup oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Salt
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh or dried coconut
3/4 cup tomato paste 
Spice Mix 
Light fry in oil: 
1/2 tablespoon white poppy seeds
1 teaspoon cumin/jeera
3 tablespoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek/methi seeds
1 teaspoon peppercorn
4 dry red chilli pepper (more or less as per taste)
4 cloves
4 small  green cardamom
2″ cinnamon stick
A pinch of hing/asafoetida
Dry Roast: 
2 tablespoons dried coconut
1 teaspoon sesame seed

Preparation
Spice Mix
1. Heat very little oil in a pan and very lightly fry the ingredients mentioned in the “Light Fry”at low heat for a couple of minutes. Switch off the heat when they get fragrant.
2. Dry roast the coconut and sesame seeds for a couple of minutes, till the coconut is very light brown.
Blend all the ingredients of the “light fry” and “dry roast” in a powder.
Marinating Chicken
Marinate chicken with yogurt, turmeric, salt, chili powder and spice mix for at least an hour (I left mine overnight).
For the curry
Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and brown them in the heated oil on both sides. they should be light brown; does not need to be evenly brown. Save the marinade.
Remove the chicken pieces and save the leftover oil.
For Gravy
1.Heat 3/4 cup oil  and fry the onions, ginger, garlic, sugar and salt till the onions are brown and starts to caramelize. Switch off the heat and transfer half of the onion mix from the pan to a blender or food processor along with the fresh cilantro, coconut, tomato paste, water and the left over marinade and blend till smooth.
2. In the remaining half of the fried onions in the pan, add the chicken and toss them and cook them for about 10 minutes at medium to high heat. If the spices stick at the bottom of the pan just sprinkle some water and scrape it off .
3. Add half of the mix from the blender to the chicken and the leftover oil from frying the chicken if you have any) in the pan and stir everything gently. Cook/simmer for about 10 – 15 minutes at medium to high heat. When you see the sauce reducing pour out the rest of the blended ingredients in to the pan. Gently stir everything together for them to combine. Cover and cook at low to medium heat till the chicken pieces are tender.
Remove cover and increase the heat. Add the coconut milk. Cook till the oil separates  for about 10 - 15  minutes. 


18 comments:

Az said...

YUM YUM YUM!!!
I totally understanding your feelings of being in a crowded place and getting stared at! I have been in this situation a many too times :(

Love the recipe and clicks!

divya said...

super tempting dish tempts me a lot,mouthwatering here..wishing you and your family happy new year 2012.

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Happy New year....:)
Peaceful and happy way of beginning a year...love it...
Delicious and spicy chicken kohlapuri...Lovely presentation...

Suja Manoj said...

Yum yum,tempting me a lot..looks so delicious..love it

Love and other Spices said...

It's so easy not to have resolutions.Love the antique plate.

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Happy New Year!
I never make resolutions...just try to do my best every day. Your chicken looks so flavorful!
~Margaret

Bikramjit Singh Mann said...

ymmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

thats the bet way to celbrate :)

Happy new year to you and family and everyone around you...

Bikram's

Priya Suresh said...

I never take resolution,love that super tempting chicken kohlapuri,inviting plate..

Unknown said...

oh i never take any resolutions! and me and mum had one of the most laid back new year celebration but we had a great time being ourselves! and chicken looks wonderful girl!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Happy New Year... lovely dish! Don't need any reservations at fancy restaurants, if you have such gorgeous meals at home...

Rookie Qookie said...

The Chicken looks really succulent..will try them for my hubby someday :)

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wow...sensational recipe..bookmarked it right away dear..;P
Tasty Appetite

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

thats almost exactly what we did this year. but i was too lazy to cook anything so ordered Pizza from Domino's.
the kolhapuri chicken looks lip smacking.

Plateful said...

That looks so spicy and yummy, just the way I like it. Drooling!! Hope you are having a lovely new year.

Vijitha said...

That plate looks so inviting and I adore that plate. Looks very chic and classy. About the resolutions, in my case it is always the standard one. Lose weight. I manage to lose some and then I gain them and gain plan to lose that the following year. It is a vicious circle you know he he!!! Inbetween, Happy new year to you!!!

Taste Melanger said...

Hey..wishing u a very happy new year..almost a mnth later though...and I know what you mean abt avoiding the whole showbaazi & party madness..sometimes less is more, like this one!

Mrs.Mano Saminathan said...

A very fine recipe with a nice photograph!

Sagarika's Kitchen said...

wow!!! Yummy n delicious chicken..
ya u r absolutely right dear..Odiya nka pari aau kehi hebeni khaibare :))

Post a Comment